What does Kernel community mean to you?

Hi, there. :blush: welcome to this post.

Kernel community is a diverse and inclusive group of individuals who share a common passion for technology and open-source software culture. For me, being a part of the Kernel community has been a journey of self-discovery and growth. The kind and knowledgeable members of this community have been instrumental in guiding me throughout this journey. Their valuable insights and feedback have enabled me to develop my skills and knowledge in ways that I never thought possible.

What sets the Kernel community apart from other communities is the sense of family and belonging that it provides. It’s much more than just a group of people who share a common interest - it’s a community of individuals who support and encourage each other in their pursuits.

As the saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” In that spirit, I have created an animation to represent my personal experience with the Kernel community. It’s a visual representation of the journey that I’ve been on since becoming a part of this amazing community. I hope you enjoy it and find it to be a fitting tribute to the wonderful people who have helped me grow and learn.

I also want to hear your message about what you found within the Kernel community. :star_struck: :herb:

4 Likes

Your post, presence, and pretty poetic pictures are so beautiful! Thank you for making this, sharing this and more importantly, being you :slightly_smiling_face:

That is exactly what the Kernel community means to me - being ourselves and always having enough of everything to share with everyone :heart:

3 Likes

Sumi, it is beautiful to hear in your words the significance of the Kernel community. Thank you for sharing your inner thoughts nonverbally via your remarkable illustrations too.

Can you share any more about the sense of ‘belonging’? Do you know when you started feeling it, or why? Was there a point at which the sense came about? I’m curious about the ‘aha’ moment (if there is one).

1 Like

Aliya, thank you for asking me first.

Although I enjoy working on art and conceptual video in Web2, I struggled very much. After hearing many critical reviews, I was in a state of distress. However, when Kernel appreciated my art, I felt validated and grew as an artist. I had previously been afraid that what I enjoyed may not be what I excelled at. When do you typically feel accepted, Aliya?

1 Like

I had previously been afraid that what I enjoyed may not be what I excelled at.

this rings very true! how can we possibly feel that we can excel when playful activities we enjoy such as art and sport are frowned upon in a capitalist, extractive globalized society because they are not considered lucrative or productive usually, unless one successfully receives an exhibition at MoMA or surmounts the Olympic trials. I recognize my hyperbole, but don’t forget how our environments radically shape how we may be able to excel in certain areas, or feel that we can excel in certain areas, because of how society tends to favor certain subjects, allocate more resources, create more incentives, and attribute more prestige.

When do you typically feel accepted, Aliya?

i think i feel accepted when support and love and attention are unconditional. but i might need to think on it more :smiling_face: :heartpulse:. thank you for asking me, too.